Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reflection ~ Bataan Death March


I have probably mentioned before that I feel I have studied the Holocaust way too much. I understand how awful and cruel the genocide was, but many others have been ignored. This march, which I have NEVER heard about before this class, was truly a horrible event. The prisoners of war, who were dragged out of their homes, underwent the most cruel punishments (if that's what one can even call it!?). When I think about the times I had studied and read about the Holocaust, I remember thinking at times, 'Was this worse than it sounds?' When I read about this march, my insides felt like they were rotting. The thought of those people being beaten over and over, and the way they were being tortured is unimaginable for me. The sun treatment is what got me the most. The people had to trudge on for hundreds of miles under the unbearable Filipino heat, and if anyone said anything, or asked for water, they were immediatly executed. Is someone fell behind, they would either be left to die or executed on the spot. Basically, they were treated harshly for hardly any reason at all. In the end, thousands were dead due to the conditions of the march, or execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment