Sunday, May 2, 2010

Reflection~ Ppt 4/29


My partner and I collaborated on a project, and its topic was The Tibetan Crisis and the Dalai Lama. Considering I had never even heard of the Dalai Lama before, and knew very little about Tibet, I thought this would be a good topic for me. Basically, all I knew about Tibet before starting the project was where it is located. Since I was more interested in the Tibetan Crisis, my partner and I split up the research, and I focused on learning about what was going on in Tibet. I found various articles on Tibet's situation, and basically I first and foremost learned that China claims itself the owner of Tibet. I looked at a bunch of maps and saw that, yes, Tibet is shown as if it is a part of China. But at one point, Tibet was fighting viciously for its independence. Around 50 years ago, China successfully invaded Tibet's region of Kham and took over Lhasa, Tibet's capital. While my partner was doing most of the research for Dalai Lama, I was meanwhile learning about it myself. I figured they were the leaders of Tibet; I read that by 1913 the 13th one was in reign. China had always thought it was the rightful owner of Tibet. The UN didn't even think to help Tibet and its fight for independence, which is ironic because it was supposed to be supporting peace among everyone. Either way, things today are a little better. Something I find really unadmirable about China was its Seventeen Point Agreement, in which China promised it would help Tibet have progress economically and socially. Sadly, none of that ever happened. Tibetans were treated quite cruelly by the Chinese, and some compared it to Nazi Germany. Overall, 86,000 Tibetan lives were lost. Today, the rage has turned into hopelessness, which basically implies that even the Dalai Lama is willing to make compromises and give up the fight for independence. However China's ego won't budge. So what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment